Everyone loves summer. Warm weather, the shining sun, and spending more time with friends and family; what’s not to like? Not to mention that we only receive such beautiful for a short time here in New Jersey before the winter months start to roll in.
Summers in the beautiful garden state can be a great time for spending more time in the sun, however, the humidity that if often comes with can spell disaster for our normal skincare routine. While it is important to maintain well-moisturized skin throughout the year, summertime brings unique challenges that we should be aware of and adapt to; better maintaining our skins youthful and radiant appearance.
While increased humidity is often a benefit for dryer skin types; having more moisture in the air preventing further dryness, other skin types may not fair so favorability. Those with more oily or mixed skin types, for example, tend to feel and experience their skin becoming even oilier, leading to more clogged pores, pimples, and sometimes even acne breakouts.
Fortunately, they’re steps you can take to ensure your skin stays healthy and beautify not matter the weather conditions. The following are five ways to revamp your skin care routine to better prepare you for New Jersey’s humid summers.
- Change up your daily moisturizer
- One of the nice things about living in one of the northern states is that we get to experience all four seasons. However, this can make it tricky when choosing the right skin care products, as one product may be best suited for a particular season and others not. Heavy moisturizers are great for locking in moisture during the winter but can prevent sweating and clog pores in the summer heat.
- Choose a lightweight moisturizer during the summer months. It is preferable to choose one that has broad-spectrum sunscreen already in it if you are planning to spend the majority of the day in the sun. Excessive sun exposure without adequate sunscreen can cause skin damage, leading to the development of premature wrinkles and fine lines.
- Get enough water!
- Drinking adequate amounts of water may seem unrelated to the quality of your skin, but it most definitely is! Staying hydrated helps to keep your skin plump and healthy-looking and most importantly helps replenish all the water lost by sweating. Insufficient hydration can also make your skin weaker and more susceptible to the sun’s harmful rays. It is recommended to drink about 8 glasses of water a day to maintain normal bodily function and glowing skin.
- Take advantage of the summer nights
- Summer nights are great because they can be just as warm as the day, making staying out all night a blast! But this doesn’t mean you should neglect your skin. Evenings are a great time to focus on healing and regenerating your skin cells for the upcoming day, giving you’re a better chance to fight the effects of sun damage.
- Using moisturizing soaps and cleansers before going to bed can keep your skin looking clear and youthful. Maintaining a nighttime skin care routine can also aid in removing irritants and other impurities that have accumulated on your skin throughout the day.
- Choose foods that promote healthy skin
- The food we eat can have a major impact on the quality of our skin. Salmon, for example, contains omega-3 fatty acids that can help your skin retain moisture and its supple feel. Avocados are also high in these beneficial fats but also contain vitamins E and C which are important for maintaining healthy skin. Other foods that promote skin health include sweet potatoes, sunflower seeds, and walnuts.
- Meet with a skincare expert
- For those seeking to bolster their skincare regime to better combat fine lines and wrinkles talking to a skilled and experienced medical professional is your best defense. The doctors and staff at ART Plastic Surgery can be just what you are looking for. They offer a wide array of different cosmetic skin care procedures that can remove years off your appearance, revealing a younger and more vibrant you.
- Laser resurfacing, chemical peels and skin tightening are just some of the procedures offered. Most of which have little to no downtime allowing you to continue enjoying your summer soon afterward.
- Schedule your own personalized consultation for all your cosmetic needs in the Paramus, NJ area at (201)251-6622.